This heartwarming recipe of red Thai curry with pineapple and cashew is much easier than it looks! Actually, also pretty quick to make. You’ll need around 45 minutes to get it on the table.
Fun fact about this, the inspiration actually came from a restaurant in Shanghai called In & Out (no, not the American burger-chain). This place serves food from the Chinese Yunnan region, which is super awesome! They served a rice dish exactly in bowls made of pineapple, which I found so yummy and inviting. Yet, my recipe is Thai style.
Before I hit the pans, I tend to read a bunch of different recipes and mash them up, combined with using the things I have in my kitchen as well. Don’t be afraid of freestyling your leftover veggies into your version of this. I have used chicken thighs, but breasts also work. If you are having meat-free Monday, skip the chicken and add mushrooms instead. Bon appetit!
Red Curry Pineapple Rice with Chicken and Cashews
Total time 45 minutes, Serves 2
|1 pineapple, ripe
1 red pepper
1 small can of bamboo shoots
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic
2 cm / 1 inch of ginger
1 green chili
1 dl / 1/2 cup of coconut milk
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 teaspoon of sugar
250 g / 9 oz chicken thighs
1 tablespoon of fish sauce
Fresh cilantro or Thai basil
3 dl / 1.5 cups basmati rice
Roasted cashew nuts
- Cook the rice according to the package. When all the water has damped away, turn off the heat and put a clean cloth or a few layers of kitchen towel under the lid. This way you get the grains nicely separated. Let rest and keep warm.
- While you wait for the water to get boiling, grab a knife and cutting board, it’s time to prep that pineapple.
A) Cut the pineapple in half, all the way through the top leaves.
B) Starting with one of the halves use a smaller knife, and cut alongside the pineapple’s edge following its shape.
C) Cut a cross inside the pineapple.
D) Take a spoon, and wiggle the pineapple meat out of the fruit. Set aside, and remove more of the fruit and the juice by using the spoon. When you are happy with both your pineapple bowls, set them aside and cut the bigger pieces of pineapple into cubes.
- Prepare all the other ingredients: Cut the red pepper into similar pieces. Slice the spring onion. Grate or finely chop the garlic and ginger. Drain the bamboo shoot. Slice the chili in half, remove the seeds and cut into thin pieces. Cut the chicken into pieces of approx. 2 x 2 cm / 1 x 1 inch.
- You are now ready to get cooking. Heat your wok or deep skillet pan to medium heat. Add a dash of coconut milk and cook the garlic and ginger until fragrant. Be careful not to brown it.
- Add half of the coconut milk and reduce to low heat. When it simmers, add one or two tablespoons of the curry paste and stir well. Let simmer until thickened a bit. Put in a dash of sugar and let melt in while stirring.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until they are done, but still juicy.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk. Taste the curry and add your preference of lime juice, chili and fish sauce.
- Add the bamboo shoots, bell pepper, and pineapple. Let boil for 3 minutes.
- Put your pineapple bowls in a deep plate, fill with rice and top with curry, cashews, chili, and spring onion. Add cilantro or Thai basil.